Staying on track when January wears thin.
5 simple but crucial tips for staying on after January 1st
- cut out sugar immediately~
Sugar is an inflammatory( so if you have anything like
gout, arthritis, soar or tender joints, MS, Fibromyalgia, cardiac disease) it
will make all these conditions worse.
Sugar is an immune suppressor. It drops your immunity and leaves your vulnerable to cold, flu or whatever bug is being passed around at the moment.
For the adults Sugar spikes blood glucose levels which signal your body to store as much weight as possible. When your blood sugar drops and you feel that drag in energy your body will start to crave more sugar and simple starchy foods which just leads to another insulin spike and and nasty cycle continues. If you have been eating a ton of sugar expect ” withdrawl symptoms” cranky, moody, fatigue, sweating, and possibly headaches. These symptoms will last roughly 3 days, depending on how bad your habit was.
- Increase veggie consumption~ in a perfect world 70% of your diet would be plants. Vegetables provide not only healthy vitamins, minerals and the perfect amount of fiber they also have been shown to fight and prevent diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
- Get physical~ If it’s been more than 3 weeks since you were regular with your workouts make sure you start slow. If you injure yourself in your first week back it could be months before you are able to lose your holiday weight. Studies also show that the longer you wait after the holidays to get the weight off the longer it will take to get it off once you do restart a workout routine.
- Build a support team to help you with your goals~ If your friends, family and/ or coworkers know what your goals are its harder to rationalize skipping your workouts or to continue to consume large amounts of sugar.
- Invest in a good pair of athletic shoes to keep your joints healthy~ If you have to decide to spend a little extra money in only one area it NEEDS to be your shoes. Like anything else a string foundation is the start of any great company, building and your weight loss success.